"> General Skilled Migration | Mentor Migration & Education Services

General Skilled Migration

If you have a skill in particular occupation that is in demand in Australia, you might be able to apply under General Skilled Migration categories.

Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189): This category is for people who are not nominated by states or sponsored by an employer or family members. You can in in or outside Australia however must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and must receive a positive outcome for skill assessment in your occupation which must be in demand in Australia. As it’s a point based visa, you must be able to meet the point score of 65 or more which gets calculated around below

  • Age
  • English
  • Australian and Overseas Experience
  • Australian Study
  • Qualifications
  • Community Language
  • Partner Skill
  • Professional Year
  • Regional Australian Study

Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190): This visa will provide permanent residency to skilled applicant who are nominated by State or Territory government. Expression of Interest (EOI) must be submitted after skill assessment is completed and that particular occupation is in demand. However applicant must receive an approved nomination from the state or territory government.


Skilled Regional Visa (subclass 489): Under this category applicant will get a four year regional provisional visa to work in regional areas of Australia. You must be nominated by state or territory government or must be sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated region of Australia. You must be under 45 year of age at the time of application and must meet the point test pass mark of 65 points.

There is option of Australian permanent residency available once the applicant worked full-time in a specified regional area.


Temporary Graduate Skilled Visa (subclass 485): International students who have recently graduated from Australian education institution would be able to apply under this category. This visa would let you work in Australia from 18 months to two to four years under below two streams: Graduate Work Stream and Post-Study Work Stream